BAH - YMCA Dodgeball Tournament
Are you ready for some Dodgeball? Grab a team or join a team and get ready to play (or, cheer on your favorite folks)! This Business After Hours supports YMCA Giving Tree. Bring an unwrapped toy and play for free!
Food and Refreshments Sponsored by Chick-Fil-A Methuen.
Tournament Play & Rules
Each team will be comprised of six players with the opportunity to add two
substitute players and will be guaranteed at least two games each timed at 8
minutes in duration in a traditional double elimination bracket.
● The typical Dodgeball court is about the size of a small Volleyball court, with a
centerline and 2 sidelines.
● There are 3 referees, in which 1 is stationed at the end of the centerline, that
help facilitate the game. Referees start the game, confirm hits and catches,
and count ball possession time.
● There are 6 balls, split into 2 even groups near the ends of the centerline.
During the opening rush (when the game starts), you may only grab the balls
to your right.
● You are out if: 1) you step on or over a sideline or centerline; 2) a thrown live
ball hits your body; and 3) you throw a live ball and it is caught by an
● A thrown live ball can only hit out 1 player. Thrown balls that hit the ground,
the wall, other balls, or other objects before hitting the opponent are
considered dead balls, and are ineligible to hit players out.
● You may block a thrown ball with a held ball. However, if you drop the
blocking ball during the act of blocking, or if you fail to make a clean block (as
in the thrown ball still ends up hitting or grazing your body afterwards), you
● If you are out, line up on the side in the order you got out (think of it as being
in an “resurrection” line). If your teammate catches a ball, the player at the
start of your team’s “resurrection” line comes back into play after touching
the wall (the teammate must be in the line at the time of the catch to be
eligible to be brought back in).
● You can only hold a ball for 10 seconds, afterwards, it will be considered
dead. Dead balls need to be rolled over immediately to the other team.
● If the game comes down to 1 player per side, they have 10 seconds to hit
each other out; if not, "Showdown" comes into effect. The game is paused,
each player gets two balls, two balls are lined up at the ends of the
centerline, and the centerline is dissolved. The first player to get the other
player out wins.